Geo-Physical Characteristics

Location and Total Land Area

Geographical Location

Located in the northern part of the province of Bukidnon is the municipality of Manolo Fortich. It is bounded on the north by Cagayan de Oro city and the municipality of Malitbog, on the east by the municipality of Sumilao and Impasugong, in the west by the municipality of Libona and Baungon and in the south by the rugged ranges of Mt. Kitanglad. It lies specifically between north longitude 124° 45′ to 125° 00′ and east latitude 8° 10 ‘ to 8°30’ .

The municipality is about 35 kms., south from Cagayan de Oro city- the regional capital. Travel time from the city is only 40-45 minutes. It is about 55 kms. from Malaybalay City- the provincial capital which is approximately 1- 1 ½ hours ride by public utility vehicle.

Political Subdivision and Land Area

Per official records of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Municipality of Manolo Fortich has a total land area of 42,556.04 hectares. This figure is 20 percent lower than the figure declared by the Bureau of Soils and Water Management (BSWM) of 53,350 hectares and has been correspondingly used for any planning purposes.

Among the municipality’s 22 barangays, 3 are identified as urban and 8 as urbanizing, covering 47.57 percent of the total land area. These are Tankulan (Poblacion), Agusan Canyon, Damilag, Mambatangan, Alae, San Miguel, Dalirig, Lunocan, Dicklum and Maluko. The remaining 52.43 percent are shared by the 12 rural barangays. Barangay, Maluko occupied the biggest area with approximately 4,294.50. However, the barangay is dominantly forestland with only 25 percent alienable and disposable lands. On the other hand, Minsuro covered the least area with only 631.96 hectares but dominantly alienable and disposable lands and only 36 percent timberland.

Topography

The municipality is dominantly composed of plateaus. It has deep canyons carved out from the rugged terrain by three (3) prominent rivers; the Tagoloan, Agusan and Mangima Rivers. The central and southern portions of the municipality are partially covered with gently rolling hills and the barangays of Dahilayan, Guilang-guilang and Santiago have dense primeval forest cover. The highest elevation of the municipality is 1,979 meters above sea level and is at Dahilayan while its lowest elevation of 257 meters above sea level is at Minsuro.

Elevation

Slope

In terms of slope classification, the distribution of level to nearly level areas (28.83%) and mountainously sloping areas (28.75 %) are more or less equivalent with the former concentrated on the northeastern part of the municipality. On the other hand, the mountainously sloping areas generally bounds the municipality from all points and also follow the major course of bodies of water but majority are found on the northeastern part within Guilang –Guilang and Santiago contiguous on the mountain range of the Mt. Kitanglad, as shown in the table below:

Climate

The Climate in Manolo Fortich has a cool and invigorating atmosphere due to its elevation of 1,118 meters above sea level. It is classified as belonging to Type IV or Intermediate B. Its climate has been characterized by moderate dry seasons starting from the month of November to April and rest of the months as wet season with average rainfall of about 2,000 mm. Its temperature is relatively cool and humid. The municipality of Manolo Fortich, as well as other places in the Mindanao Isalnd, are less visited by typhoons unlike in Luzon and Visayan islands. This is because most of the typhoons entering the Philippine area origninate from Marianas moving in northwesterly direction.